C. S. Lewis Journal

Here you will find the journal entries I have written in response to various books I have read, written by C. S. Lewis. In particular, these are in response to the HON 303R course requirement.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Till We Have Faces

I don't understand the title. True enough the Queen Orual says that we can't meet God face to face till we have faces, but it was in the context of coming to believe the truth instead of our own lies about "the gods". The tie from lies to faces wasn't clear to me.

Ok forget the title. It was a terrific book. It was long, but I didn't ever feel that reading it was a chore. I often wondered why all the pagean gods in a book written by a traditionally Christian author. Toward the end of the book many of Lewis' teachings from other books became more obvious. It got pretty emotional toward the end. The ending was beautifully done. As I said in class, it seems that many answers to the mysteries in the book are given at the end, but I didn't understand many of them. I probably read over the last couple chapters in the book twice just as I was reading them the first time to try to not miss anything. Still there were parts where I furrowed my eye brows.

There were many parts in the book that I thought were really cool. And other parts where I felt infuriated and wanted to shout at the characters. Anyway, the one time when Orual is putting the gods on trial, and then the gods remind someone that she is not on trial, at least not yet, they say that a higher and greater judge would be required for that. I thought it was cool that a mortal being, a child of God, would need a higher judge than even the gods had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home