C. S. Lewis Journal

Here you will find the journal entries I have written in response to various books I have read, written by C. S. Lewis. In particular, these are in response to the HON 303R course requirement.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

A Grief Observed

I was amazed the the questioning of faith that the death of Jack's wife caused. I have always been amazed at people who "question all they believe in" with the death of a loved one. Don't they realize people are dying all the time? Why doesn't that assault their faith? Why do they wait until it's up close and personal to let it challenge them? Of course people need to die. Why question the existence or goodness of God just because it happened to a loved one?

So in short, I was amazed that it happened even to Jack. But then, if the question must be asked, it is good that it is asked. One's faith must be strengthened when it is thus weak. And it starts by questioning all you believe in.

I was pleased when I read his passage on pages 36-37, where he asks
"What grounds has it given me for doubting all that I believe? I knew already that these things, and worse, happened daily. ... If my house has collapsed at one blow, that is because it was a house of cards."
Very well put.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home