C. S. Lewis Journal

Here you will find the journal entries I have written in response to various books I have read, written by C. S. Lewis. In particular, these are in response to the HON 303R course requirement.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Last Battle

At least for now, this is my favorite book in the Chronicles of Narnia, because of the emotion I feel when I read it. I want to strangle the monkey. I want to tear down the covering of the stable and expose the hoax of a Lion that the poor donkey is innocently playing. I feel the love that Rillian has for his friend the Unicorn.

But most of all, during the last battle, I feel the love, the respect, the hopelessness and determination. I feel sorrow as I read about the deaths of the King's valiant and loyal followers. I feel very sad at the victory of the bad guys over Narnia.

This book reminds me of the last episode of Star Trek: Deep Space 9, which was also very well done in that I felt the emotional attachment between the actors as they went their different ways.

Oddly as it may sound, the very end of the book, where everyone runs up the mountain and meets all their long-gone friends, did not do that much for me. It was a very good ending, and one I could largely believe was based on Christian truth, but I didn't get as much into that part as the scene of the last battle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home