C. S. Lewis Journal

Here you will find the journal entries I have written in response to various books I have read, written by C. S. Lewis. In particular, these are in response to the HON 303R course requirement.

Monday, October 04, 2004

Surprised by Joy

A more interesting book. Definitely easier to follow that some of Lewis' writings. Toward the end of chapter 5, I found his description of the union between Animal Land and India most puzzling. He had all the detail of real-life history, so that I had to keep reminding myself that it was all in his and his brother's imagination. How a couple of boys in their teens could find such an interest in an imaginary land of such detail is beyond me.

I could totally relate to the Great Knock in chapter 9. I was that kind of person as a new missionary, and still am, to a lesser degree, now. My personality that insisted that everyone ought and should want to be clarified and corrected was one that I had grown up with. My brothers were all like that, and we got along without knowing what was unusual about it, and oblivious to how the rest of the world seems to see it as controversial. I wish I could have shown my companions this chapter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home