C. S. Lewis Journal

Here you will find the journal entries I have written in response to various books I have read, written by C. S. Lewis. In particular, these are in response to the HON 303R course requirement.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Weight of Glory

A good sermon. Lewis lists five main "heads" to salvation:
  1. We shall be with Christ
  2. We shall be like Him
  3. We shall have "glory"
  4. We shall be fed or feasted or entertained
  5. We shall have some sort of official position in the universe-ruling cities, judging angels, being pillars of God's temple
He makes the point that he doesn't see any reward useful besides the first one: being with Christ. So I now put Lewis in the same category with some of my Christian friends who think that salvation is all about being in heaven, doing nothing but saying "holy, holy, holy" over and over again for all eternity to our Maker. I'm sorry. But I don't see God as someone so taken with Himself that he saves us to do nothing but worship Him.

Now don't misunderstand me. God deserves to be worshipped. I am only stating that our salvation is meant to be more than that. God wants to save us so we can be productive in doing what He does. And what does He do? As stated in Moses 1:39
And this is my work and my glory: to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
I prefer to think that the last four promised blessings of salvation are very relevant and desireable indeed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home