C. S. Lewis Journal

Here you will find the journal entries I have written in response to various books I have read, written by C. S. Lewis. In particular, these are in response to the HON 303R course requirement.

Monday, September 13, 2004

What Are We to Make of Jesus Christ?

A good article. It is true, Jesus seems to leave only two extremes to believe in. But I believe it is possible to teach sound doctrinal principles while falsely believing you are God. Think back to recent history with some of the cults that have arisen, led by men who claimed to be some diety. Some of them had some persuasive doctrines. If Jesus was especially good at it, then its plausible that a middle ground is believable.

Of course I am Christian. I just don't buy into the "you have to believe he was God or a mad man" philosophy.

1 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Howard Brugma said...

Hi Andrew, Thank you for posting your thoughts regarding C.S.Lewis "What Are We to Make of Jesus Christ? You said, "Of course I am Christian. I just don't buy into the "you have to believe he was God or a mad man" philosophy." I was puzzled that you would use the word philosophy when speaking of Jesus Christ. May I state my humble opinion. I believe all truth must be supported with evidence. Nothing can be true if there is not sufficient evidence. I believe that God in the person of Jesus actually came to earth became man to allow himself to communicate his love for us. If one wants to they can seek this information out, which I did. Seeing there is very strong historical evidence and a lot of scientific archeological evidence to prove this. It was crucial for me to make sure I wasn’t believing in some mythical subjective thought or philosophy but that my life's was based on the truth. There can only be one truth. If everybody has "there truth" then there is no truth. It is illogical to believe in subjective truth. The Jews who killed him understood Jesus to say that he was God, so was Jesus a liar, a lunatic or was He telling the truth. He doesn't give us choice of calling him a good teacher, or prophet because he claimed to be God. In my humble opinion nominal Christianity is based on subjective feelings and has no foundation. That's why it's so weak and ineffective. It just becomes another religion, which can give you some warm fuzzys and also makes you feel guilty as hell as only graceless religion can do, oh yeah don't let me forget no confidence or security either. Thanks for listening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home