C. S. Lewis Journal

Here you will find the journal entries I have written in response to various books I have read, written by C. S. Lewis. In particular, these are in response to the HON 303R course requirement.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Mere Christianity: conditions of salvation, part I

I say part I because I suspect I will have much more to say on this topic as I read on through Lewis' book. I am currently in Book 3, chapter 2.

Lewis explains how virtues are very good to have and be, not just to do. His points about doing things for the right reasons so that the actions because who you are rather than remain what you do are very good points. The way he qualifies them, reminding the reader that achieving virtues do not qualify you for heaven, but merely make it more enjoyable for you, I believe is wrong. True, there is no grand scale that God will measure you up to and throw you out if you don't meet, but God has a personal scale for you. He knows what you have been capable of. Where much is given much is required. Remember the parable of the talents that the Savior taught in the New Testament. If you do not use the facilities you are given in this life, and magnify them, you will be thrust out.

1 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Dream Weaver said...

If I understand your meaning, I believe you are confusing rewards with salvation. Paul, spoke of those whose works would be made of hay, straw, etc and would be burned up. But the man himself would be saved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home